Summer is rolling in in full force, and your energy bill is taking a toll. Once you’re been out in the suffocating heat for a while, you want nothing more than to walk into your building and to be instantly cooled off.
You want your business to be a refreshing escape from the sweltering heat, but you also want to keep your energy bills low and your business eco-friendly. It’s not as impossible as you think. Here are some energy-saving tips that are good for the environment and your wallet.
- Try keeping your thermostat between 75 and 79 degrees. The closer its set to the actual temperature outside, the less energy you use and the more money you’ll save.
- Avoid heat leaking in from outside. For the duration of the summer, try to keep your windows closed and blinds shut; especially during peak daytime hours.
- Not many people want to wash their hands with hot water during the summer anyway. Turn your water heater down to 120 degrees to save energy.
- If you’re a facility with dishwasher or laundry units, run them at night. Night is also the perfect time to air dry dishes, clothes or towels to avoid running any driers.
- Fans are a fantastic, low-cost way to keep you feeling cool. Fans can allow you to raise the thermostat up to 4 degrees without compromising comfort.
- Remember to turn fans off after you leave the room. Fans cool people, not rooms.
- At night when no one is around, try either opening the windows to let to cool air in, or raise the thermostat to keep your air conditioner from working overtime.
- Avoid putting major appliances anywhere near the thermostat. The heat put off by these appliances can trick the thermostat into thinking the temperature is higher than it is, which can cause the A/C to run much more frequently.
- Get rid of incandescent lights. Only 10 to 15 percent of the energy these lights consume results in light; the rest is omitted as heat.
- When all else fails, you can always consider switching to an eco-friendly energy such as solar power.
Call us today at 402.331.3243 for a FREE, no-obligation analysis with one of our facility solutions specialists to see how much you could save!